What kind of work visa will let a Canadian work in New York City?

Many people want to work in New York City, but the majority of foreign nationals – even Canadian citizens – will require a United States work visa in order to do so. There are a number of United States work visas that are available to Canadians and other nationals, depending on your current occupation, country of origin or what exactly you’ll be doing while in NYC.

Types of US Work Visas

If you are a Canadian citizen, there are extra United States work visa options for you. For example, a TN visa may be the best option for you if you are in a professional occupation (that requires a thigh level of education) and already have a job from a United States employer or business. The TN visa is a temporary work visa that only lasts for three years unless you apply to have it extended. Only Canadian citizens and Mexican citizens may apply for the TN visa under the North American Free Trade Agreement, Canadian permanent residents and other foreign nationals are not eligible to apply.

The requirements for a TN visa are very strict. For example, you must be working in a specific job that is mentioned on the NAFTA list while also being qualified for the job in question.

There are other United States work visas available if you are unable to qualify for a United States work visa, such as:

The L1 Visa, for workers who are being transferred to a United States office from a foreign office.
The E2 Visa, for those who want to invest in the United States.
H1B Speciality Occupation Visas
H2B Non-Agricultural Workers

Remember, if you are a foreign national of any country you will likely need a United States work visa in other to work in the United States. Many United States work visa applications are denied each year, but you could benefit from the aid of a licensed immigration lawyer when it comes to preparing your application and ensuring you meet all of the requirements for a United States work visa. It’s important to consult with a lawyer so that you know you are eligible for your visa and that you don’t make any mistakes on the application. Call is at the number above, we are happy to assist.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.