Planning On Visiting The US With a J1-Visa?

The J-1 visa is used by international visitors to enter the United States (U.S.) temporarily for educational or cultural exchange purposes.

  • The Exchange Visitor Program is carried out under the Mutual Educational and Cultural Exchange Act of 1961, as amended, and administered by the Office of Exchange Coordination and Designation in the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
  • Exchange Visitor program participants are expected to return to their respective home countries to utilize the skills that they acquire while in the U.S.

The following is a list of the main Exchange Visitor Program categories:

  • Trainees and interns in medicine, business, and other fields;
  • Secondary, college, and university students;
  • Teachers at all academic levels;
  • Professors employed to teach and/or perform research at post-secondary institutions;
  • Au pairs;
  • Government Visitors; and
  • Research Scholars.

Each category has specific requirements and regulations.

J-1 Visa Requirements You Need To Know About

  • In order to apply for a J-1 visa, applicants must be sponsored by an American organization to come to the U.S. as a visitor in a recognized exchange category.
  • Also, applicants are required to obtain a Form DS-2019 from their sponsor before applying for a J-1 visa.
  • J-1 visitors must have the requisite academic background to participate in the Exchange Visitor Program, including knowledge of the English language (unless the program does not require such knowledge).
  • In addition, applicants must demonstrate that they plan to depart the U.S. at the conclusion of their exchange program, that they have compelling social and economic ties abroad which they have no intention of abandoning, and that they have sufficient funds to cover living expenses incurred while in the U.S.
  • Exchange visitors coming to the U.S. for medical education or training must have passed the Foreign Medical Graduate Examination.

With Our Experience in US immigration, We Can Help You With Your J1-Visa

Knowing the J1-Visa qualifications is not enough.  You still need experienced assistance to put together an application properly and with all the necessary documentation, so you can have the best chances of a desirable outcome.

Niren & Associates’ 30 years of combined experience has helped thousands of people successfully obtain US Immigration Work Permits and Visas.  One of the reason for our success is because we don’t dabble in other types of law like tax, family, personal injury, etc.  All our focus, resources and combined experience goes exclusively to US and Canadian immigration cases.

  • We have a proven track record in our New York office for handling US and Canadian visa cases and you could become one of our new success stories
  • Our US immigration lawyers are fully licensed and ready to help you right now

Click Here to get an experienced US immigration lawyer starting on your case today

The requirements are brutal and very complicating! Thank you for coordinating a plan and getting the job done! You and your team are extraordinary. The time you dedicated to my file is much appreciated. I could not have asked for a better lawyer. I am utmost grateful. Dan G

J-1 Visa Employment Authorization

J-1 visa holders may be authorized to work in the U.S. as part of their exchange program. Participants in programs which do not involve work may not engage in outside employment.

J-1 Visa Foreign Residency Requirements

An exchange visitor is subject to the two-year home country physical presence requirement if the following conditions exist:

  • The program in which the exchange visitor is participating is directly or indirectly financed in whole or in part by the U.S. government or the government of the exchange visitor;
  • The exchange visitor entered the United States to receive graduate medical education or training; Or
  • The exchange visitor is a national or permanent resident of a country which has deemed the field of specialized knowledge or skill necessary to the development of the country.
  • If the exchange visitor is subject to the two-year home country foreign residence requirement, he or she cannot change his/her status to that of H Visa, L Visa, K Visa,
  • or lawful US permanent resident until he or she has returned to his/her home country for at least two years or received a waiver of that requirement.

Increase Your Chances Of J-1 Approval

Contact us so that we can set up a personal consultation where we can find out your exact needs for your particular situation.  After that we can then suggest some options that we can proceed with, but you have to take that first step and reach out to us.

Click Here to speak with a US immigration lawyer from our New York, NY office today

Thank you Laura & Fadi for helping me with entry into US.  I would recommend your immigration services to anyone I know who needs this. Heena T.