How Can An American Citizen Sponsor A Canadian For A Green Card?

A US Green Card holder is also known as a United States lawful permanent resident. However, Green Card holders are not US Citizens. ¬†Although both can sponsor Canadians, there are different rules in terms of preferences or priorities for processing that apply. Generally, American citizens get “first preference” when it comes to sponsoring a spouse.

Regardless,  In order to bring other people to the United States as permanent residents or green card holders or citizens, you typically would sponsor them under a family petition or through spousal sponsorship. If you are married to a Canadian or one of your close family members is a Canadian, you can sponsor them for a US Green Card:

Spousal Sponsorship US

How to sponsor a Canadian spouse for a green card

A US Citizen must be able to prove that their marriage to their Canadian spouse is legitimate and honest, as well as earn the equivalent to 125% above the poverty line to be eligible to sponsor a Canadian spouse for a green card in the United States.

You will need to demonstrate that you can financially support your spouse and be at least 18 years old with a residence in the United States to sponsor a spouse to the United States.

How to sponsor a Canadian family member for a green card

A US citizen who wants to sponsor a family member can normally sponsor a Canadian Citizen who is a sibling or a parent for a US Green Card.

Family members and spouses may also have to undergo a medical examination and undergo an interview when being sponsored to the United States.

Note that spousal sponsorship and family sponsorship applications are not easy, and many get denied. If you want the best chance of successfully sponsoring a Canadian for a green card, discuss your case with a licensed immigration attorney to make sure you are eligible. It is a very complicated process that can take a number of years depending on your individual situation, but hiring a licensed immigration attorney can make the process much easier for you.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.



Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.