My Permanent Resident Card Expired Outside of Canada

While a less than ideal situation, it is not uncommon for a permanent resident of Canada to be traveling abroad, such as in the United States, and not realize their permanent resident card is about the expire. How to renew a permanent resident card outside of Canada

Ideally, they would renew their permanent resident card a few months before the expiry date, but we understand that this is not always possible. However, a permanent resident will not be allowed back into Canada with an expired card – but you cannot renew your card until you’re back in Canada. Instead, you must apply for a travel document to get you back into Canada where you can renew your PR card.

How to obtain a travel document for Canadian permanent residents abroad

1. Find your nearest Canadian visa office in the country you’re in, and get the Application for a Travel Document (Permanent Resident Abroad) IMM 5524. This is the main application form for a travel document to return to Canada. Fill out this form. ??2. Also, obtain the Document Checklist of IMM 5627. Follow the instructions and ensure you compile the necessary supporting documents and previously mentioned application forms into an organized application package. ??3. Contact a licensed immigration lawyer or qualified immigration representative and ask them to assess your application package in order to make sure that it is ready for a Canadian visa officer to process it.??4. Submit your application package to the applicable Canadian visa office abroad for processing.
5. If and when you are approved for a travel document, you may use this document to return to Canada. Once you are in Canada, renew your permanent resident card right away. In the future, try your best to renew your permanent resident card at least three months before it is going to expire.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.



Subscribe to our e-mail newsletter to receive updates.