Do I Need a PR Card to Enter the United States?

If you are a permanent resident of Canada, you will require a valid permanent resident card (“PR card”) to travel abroad and be able to return to Canada, including if you are traveling to the United States.

However, a permanent resident card does not guarantee you entry into the United States. Please read on:

Canadian permanent residents traveling to the United States

When Canadian citizens want to visit the United States, they have to provide proof of their Canadian citizenship in the form of a valid Canadian passport. In most cases, this will allow them to enter the United Stats with ease.

However, Canadian permanent residents are not Canadian citizens and still maintain the citizenship of their native countries. It is the citizenship for these countries that determines whether or not you will need a visa to enter the United States or will only need the valid passport for your native country.

In order to enter the United States as a permanent resident of Canada, you must have citizenship from a country that currently participates in the United States Visa Waiver Program. There are 36 countries that participate, and the list can be found here:

If you are from one of these listed countries, you will need to prove your citizenship with a valid passport from one of these countries at the United States border or port of entry.

If you are from a country that is not on this list of visa-exempt countries for the United States, you will require a visa to enter the United States. What type of visa you should apply for depends on a number of different things, including the reasons for your stay and whether or not you are eligible for entry into the United States. Please contact one of our immigration lawyers for help determining if you are eligible to enter the United States and whether or not you will require a United States visa. We can help!

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.