Canadian Permanent Residence as a Skilled Worker

To qualify under the Skilled Worker Class, you will have to have at least one (1) year of full-time (37.5 hours per week or more) work experience within the past ten (10) years in one of the occupations listed in either Skill Type 0 or Skill Level A or B of the National Occupational Classification (NOC).

The NOC was developed by Human Resources Development Canada to be a systematic cataloging of occupations in the Canadian labor market. The NOC is divided into five (5) bands:

  1. Skill Type 0 Management Occupations
  2. Skill Level A Professional and Related occupations
  3. Skill Level B Technical, skilled trades and paraprofessional occupations
  4. Skill Level C Occupations of intermediate level, clerical or supportive functions
  5. Skill Level D Elemental sales or service and primary labor occupations

Subject to certain limited exceptions, only experience in Skill Type 0 or Skill Levels A and B are considered relevant for applicants in the Independent/Skilled Worker Class.

We Can Help You Make Sense of this Area of Canadian Immigration

Unless you have an offer of arranged employment; or you have already been living legally in Canada for one year as a temporary foreign worker or international student, you must have at least one year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in the past 10 years in one of 29 specific high-demand occupations.

Besides qualifying, you have to know what the Canadian immigration officers are looking for, so you can provide all the necessary documentation and structure everything correctly.  Without this, you chances of getting approved go down significantly.

Niren & Associates’ 30 years of combined experience has helped thousands of people successfully obtain Permanent Residence Skilled Worker status in Canada.

  • Our immigration firm is equiped with the infrastructure that is customized for immigration because we don’t practice other types of law other than immigration
  • We have a proven track record in our New York office for handling US and Canadian visa cases and you could become one of our new success stories
  • Our Canadian immigration lawyers are fully licensed and ready to help you right now

Click Here and let our Canadian immigration lawyers in our New York, NY Office work with you

I’m pleased to let you know that I got my landing paper today. Shawn went with me this morning, the interview was very fast and easy, everything went well just like what you told us. Both of us were really happy. I’m glad that I chose the right law firm to help me out, u guys did a really good job. I can not believe the professionalism and kind service you guys have provided. Asem S.

How Do You Keep Up with Current Immigration Laws?

Read about some Skilled Worker Program changes.

  • This category is designed for individuals who will immigrate to Canada on the basis of their own personal credentials.
  • To qualify for this category, applicants are assessed on a number of different “factors” about their personal circumstances and are awarded “points” for each factor.
  • How many points do you need to qualify? The answer is 67. What are the factors that give you these points?
  • Calculating your points can be somewhat complicated. It is more than just a matter of adding up the scores.
  • It is NOT recommended that you rely on your own assessment. 
  • There are many legal issues involved in the proper calculation of immigration points that must be taken into consideration when adding up your score.
  • A thorough understanding of Canadian immigration law is required to accurately assess whether you have enough points to immigrate. It is recommended that you get a professional assessment to accurately calculate your score.
  • If you have at least one year of work experience within the last ten years in occupations listed under Skill Type O, A or B, you then have to be assessed according to various selection criteria by Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
  • Applicants must attain a minimum score of sixty-seven (67) points overall in order to be eligible to become permanent residents of Canada.

These selection criteria are as follows:

  • Education Maximum 25 Points
  • Official Languages Maximum 24 Points
  • Experience Maximum 21 Points
  • Arranged Employment Maximum 10 Points
  • Age Maximum 10 Points
  • Adaptability Maximum 10 Points

Total Points                              100 Points

Points to Pass                             67 Points

  • It is important to note that if an applicant scores below sixty-seven (67) points, he/she may still be approved in cases where the immigration officer assessing the case exercises positive discretion in the applicant’s favour.
  • The Immigration Regulations permits an immigration officer to exercise positive discretion in such a case, if the officer is of the opinion that it is likely that the applicant will economically establish himself/herself in Canada.
  • Beware however, that the Immigration Regulations gives an immigration officer the power to exercise negative discretion in cases where the applicant scores 67 points or above if the officer forms the opinion that the applicant will unlikely economically establish himself/herself in Canada.

We Can Help You Get Results with Our New York Immigration Team Assisting You

Contact us and then we can find out what you particular needs are, answer some of your questions, plan out some possible action steps and proceed accordingly.

Click Here to not delay any longer in applying for Permanent Residence Skilled Worker status

I’ve hit the jackpot “work-wise”, I’ve found a good company and every thing fits. I’ve still got that bottle of wine I promised it must be vintage now, but I’ll be around soon, honest. If you happen to be in the Hamilton area on the 21st July let me know it will be my one year anniversary, your work paid off, because I love it here. John C.