Can Canadians work in NYC?

Anyone can work in New York City or other cities across the United States if they have the right work permit. This even applies to Canadian citizens, who also need a valid work permit in order to legally work in the United StatesApply for a TN visa

Being a Canadian citizen can make the process of obtaining a work permit for the United States much faster, as some of these work visas can be obtained at the border. But that does not mean they are easy to obtain – you have to be fully prepared in advance to apply for the visa that is right for you, and it needs to be the right visa for your situation.

Work visas for Canadians for the United States

There are several work visas available for the United States for Canadians. If you are a very highly skilled worker who has a job offer, for example, you could apply for the H1B work visa. Or, you could apply for the H2B work visa if your work is seasonal but nonagricultural.

There is also the L1 work visa available for employees and business owners who are being transferred to the United States or who are expanding their existing foreign business to the United States.

If you have a job offer in the United States already and that job is in a certain type of profession, you could be eligible for the TN visa, which is a visa exclusively for Canadian citizens.

It is vital that you make sure you are applying for the correct work visa, because if you apply for the wrong visa or you are denied for the visa you’ve applied for you can have more difficulty applying for a visa in the future. It can also be difficult to determine if you qualify for the work visa you’ve chosen, as each of the visas have specific requirements. Please contact our immigration law firm for assistance with your United States work visa application.

We have helped many Canadians obtain work visas for the United States, and we can help you too. Call us at the number above to speak with a licensed immigration attorney.

Any information provided here does not constitute legal advice and is intended for general information only. Should you require legal advise, you are encouraged to contact a lawyer directly. All blog postings are public and are not subject to solicitor/client confidentially. Case results depend on a variety of factors unique to each case, and case results do not guarantee or predict a similar result in any further case undertaken by the lawyer.