The North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) contains provisions that enable Canadians to obtain US work visas very quickly and with minimal documentation.
- Under NAFTA, a Canadian Citizen who has a temporary offer of employment in the United States may qualify for a TN visa.
- In October 2008, the Bureau of U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services increased the initial maximum period of admission for TN Visas from one year to three years.
- Further, those that want to apply for extensions of their TN Visas can apply for a period of up to three years instead of the previous one year maximum.
Who is Eligible for a TN Visa?
Only Canadian Citizens (and Mexicans) are eligible for a TN visa. Permanent residents or landed immigrants are not eligible.
- US Job offer should be consistent with your Education
- US job offer should appear on the NAFTA LIST
- US job offer should not exceed three years
- US job offer letter should be properly formatted with all relevant information
- When you apply, READ and UNDERSTAND all your documentation
- Your resume should be well organized and complete
- Employment references should be consistent and relevant
- Bring a valid Canadian Passport for at least three years
- Foreign degrees and diplomas should be evaluated as equivalent to Canadian or US Standards
Process Your TN Visa With An Experienced US and Canadian Immigration Law Firm
US immigration law is only second to US tax law as far as complexity. We have the experience, systems, processes and infrastructure in place to help navigate and guide you through this whole process. You just have to decide to begin.
Contact us and then we can start with a personal consultation to assess your needs and see how we can help you and what options are available to you.
Niren & Associates’ 30 years of combined experience has helped thousands of people successfully process TN Visa applications.
- Our immigration lawyers have the experience in presenting each application to best represent you and to best increase your chances at getting an approval
- We have a proven track record in our New York office for handling US and Canadian visa cases and you could become one of our new success stories
- Our US immigration lawyers are fully licensed and ready to help you right now
I got the status I was seeking. Thanks for your help, it was a good job done. This morning (Monday) I went to the Peace Bridge to process my TN application. It was a long process, as we had anticpated, which took them 2.5 hours to interview/process. It was a successful application however, as I got the status I was seeking. Thanks for your help, it was a good job done. Wes A.
Documents Required for TN Visa:
- Proof of Canadian Citizenship (Birth Certificate or Passport)
- Evidence that the intended employment/business activity and the applicant qualify under Chapter 15, Schedule 2 of NAFTA. This means that the applicant is required to provide:
- A temporary Offer of Employment from a prospective U.S. employer;
- Copies of relevant educational degrees, diplomas and certificates
- Letters of reference from previous or current employers confirming your experience in your occupation (if applicable)
Some Advantages of TN Visas You Need to Know
The most attractive feature of TN Visas over other types of visas is that applicants can obtain TN Visas right at the a U.S./Canadian border or airport. Applicants are required to appear at the border with the necessary documentation. An immigration official will review the documentation and, if that officer is satisfied that the applicant qualifies for the TN Visa, the visa issued on the spot!
TN Work Visas Are Not Easy To Get
Your documentation has to be exactly what the immigration officials are looking for or you will be denied. Don’t take any chances going forward without professional help.
Many thanks for the assistance in arranging my TN status application. I realize, it wouldn’t have been possible without your assistance. Your advice to get the assessment of my academic credential and professional experience, as well as help in preparing the offer letter and helping me prepare for interview questions was crucial. Many thanks from bottom of my heart. Thomas W.
Qualifications You Need To Know About A TN Visa
In order to qualify for a TN visa, applicants must have a US job offer that is found on a list of occupations on the NAFTA list in Chapter 15, Schedule 2 of NAFTA.
Appendix 1603D.1 to NAFTA (Occupation List)
Medical Professionals :
Medical Laboratory Technologist
Computer Systems Analyst
Disaster Relief Insurance Adjuster
Lawyer (including Quebec Notary)
Mathematician / Statistician
Range Manager / Conservationist
Research Assistant (post-secondary)
Scientific Technician / Technologist
We Can Get Results For You With Our Immigration Lawyers in Our New York, NY Office
I just received my TN visa thanks to all the support and preparation provided your crew. I had been formerly refused entry inside the States and was in a really tight position. However, your team did a fantastic job of rapidly putting together my documents. You guys additionally made sure I was completely prepared for the interview. Thank you to their professional service and attention I felt far more self-assured on my attempt to cross the border. Pamela H.