Most of us know what a visitor is: those people wishing to come to Canada for a temporary purpose to do things like vacation, study, or work. Unless you are a citizen from a visa exempt country, you will require a visitor visa to qualify for entry to Canada.
What You May Not Know Can Hurt You
It is important to note that a visitor visa does not guarantee admission to Canada.
- When coming to Canada, visitors must always satisfy a visa officer at the Canadian port of entry that the purpose of the visit is of a temporary nature.
- What happens when you come to Canada and then wish to leave and then come back before the expiry of your visa?
- Well, visitor visas come with different “features”.
- Some are single entry visas which mean that they are for one entry to Canada only.
- If you leave Canada and wish to return, you will have to apply for another visa unless you are traveling to the United States or St. Pierre and Miquelon.
- Some visas are multiple entry visas which allow people to leave and return to Canada during the validity of their visas.
- If you are in Canada on a visitor visa and wish to apply for an extension of your visitor status, you can do so at a Canadian immigration office within Canada but you should do so before the expiration of your visitor status.
- Generally but not always, when you come to Canada as a visitor, you will be issued a visa for a six month period.
Our Immigration Attorneys Can Help
Niren & Associates’ 30 years of combined experience has helped thousands of people successfully obtain Temporary Residence Visitor Visas. We know how to structure applications to get the best possible chances of approval.
- We have a proven track record in our New York office for handling US and Canadian visa cases and you could become one of our new success stories
- We only practice US and Canadian immigration and because of that our firm has the infrastructure & processes that are customized for immigration
- Our Canadian immigration lawyers are fully licensed and ready to help you right now
I’m also happy to let you know that everything went well. I was sent into secondary screening as expected. After almost an hour of waiting, I was called up and was asked some questions (which I was prepared for), then allowed on my way. I don’t think I would have ended up with the same results had I not used the assistance of your firm. Thank you again for your help.I am grateful for the knowledge and professionalism that you had shown from beginning to end. Jon H
Visitor Visa Exemptions
Some people do not require a visa to visit Canada. These include:
- Citizens of Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Brunei, Costa Rica, Cyprus, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Grenada, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel (National Passport holders only), Italy, Japan, Kiribati, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Portugal, Republic of Korea, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St.Vincent, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Spain, Swaziland, Sweden, Slovenia, Switzerland, Tuvalu, United States, Vanuatu, Western Samoa and Zimbabwe;
- Persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (USA Green Card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence.
- British citizens and British Overseas Citizens who are re-admissible to the United Kingdom;
- Citizens of British dependent territories who derive their citizenship through birth, descent, registration or naturalization in one of the British dependent territories of Anguilla, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Hong Kong, Montserrat, Pitcairn, St. Helena or the Turks and Caicos Islands; Turkish citizens traveling on a diplomatic passport; and Persons holding passports or travel documents issued by the Holy See.
July 14, 2009: Visitors from Mexico Now Require Visas
Citizens of the following countries DO require a Visa to VISIT or TRANSIT Canada:
Central African Republic
China, People’s Republic
Congo (The), Democratic Republic of
Congo (The), People’s Republic of
Israel (only Israeli citizens holding valid Israeli orange “Travel Document in Lieu of National Passport”)
Macedonia (former Yugoslav Republic of)
Pacific Islands, U.S. Trust Territory
Sao Tome e Principe
Trinidad and Tobago
United Arab Emirates
Make The Best Choice For Legal Assistance for Visitor Visas
If you want to temporarily visit Canada, there are a few different ways we can help you to apply. Contact us so we can begin to evaluate your current situation and offer possible avenues to help you achieve your immigration goals.
We’re extra thankful for the REAL and EFFECTIVE guidance and expert services which surely were key factors of our results in getting Canada visitors’ visas. Our application document prepared by You and backed up by Your important Submission notice have surely appeared in Embassy as excellent and complete- not one “documentary” question was brought up in the course of interview. Andreas B.