Humanitarian and Compassionate Applications or H & Cs are Canadian Permanent Residence applications that are filed IN LAND (in Canada) to the Case Processing Centre (CPC) Vegreville, Alberta.
What You Need To Know About Humanitarian and Compassionate Applications
Humanitarian and Compassionate (H and C) Applications are usually for people living in Canada without legal status in Canada but who have nevertheless established themselves in Canada by virtue the following: (note: not all factors will be applicable in all cases)
- Family ties to Canada who are Canadian Permanent Residents or Canadian Citizens
- Employment in Canada albeit often without a valid Canadian work permit
- Education in Canada albeit often without a valid Study Permit in Canada
- Volunteer work in Canada
- Upgrade of English skills
- Savings and property in Canada
- Social ties to Canada in their communities
- Assessing someone who may be a candidate for a Humanitarian and Compassionate
The general profile of a good candidate for an H and C application would be someone who has resided in Canada for a few years, say, five years or longer who has some of the factors listed above.
Often such applicants do not qualify for other Canadian permanent residence categories such as the Skilled Worker category where applicants are assessed on their English skills or education or work experience.
A typical applicant may be a laborer with little education but has managed to support him or herself in Canada.
Be Well On Your Way With The Right Canadian Immigration Law Firm
Niren & Associates has over 14 years of experience has helped hundreds of people successfully apply for Humanitarian and Compassionate applications.
You don’t want to go about filing the paperwork incorrectly or not knowing if you have all the right support documents included or even what a Canadian immigration officer is looking for.
Don’t throw the dice when it comes to your chances of a favorable outcome.
We exclusively practice US and Canadian immigration law, so our firm’s infrastructure and our staff’s processes are designed by experience to handle immigration cases.
- We have a proven track record in our New York office for handling US and Canadian visa cases and you could become one of our new success stories
- Our Canadian lawyers are fully licensed and ready to help you right now
I can not believe that my H & C application has been approved!!!!!! WOW! I can not imagine that. You guys have been so great to me. I know how difficult it is to get H & C applications approved. For some time there, I thought maybe I will not get approved. I can not thank Niren & Associates enough. Christine W
Hardship in Home Country
A major component of H and C cases is an assessment of the undue hardship that the applicant may suffer should they be required to return to their home country by Canada Immigration.
- It is important to explore an applicant’s background in terms of the social, economic or personal hardship they or their family would be subject to in their home country.
- Note that the applicant for Humanitarian and Compassionate cases do not have to be subject to persecution.
- H and C cases are not Refugee cases. However, without showing hardship, it may be difficult to succeed in your application for Canadian Permanent Residence under the Humanitarian and Compassionate Category.
Procedure for H and C Cases
The completion of application forms, and supporting documentation showing the factors above are necessary for a good H and C application.
Once the application package is complete and the government processing fee of $550.00CAD is collected, the application can be submitted to CPC Vegreville for processing.
- The application package should have a very detailed submission letter outlining all the H and C factors of the applicant and explain why the immigration officer assessing the case should approve the application.
- Note that H and C cases are discretionary, that is, the immigration officer assessing the case has the discretion to refuse or approve the case based on their own assessment of the merits of the case.
- Therefore it is extremely important to prepare a very strong submission letter and collect persuasive supporting documentation in support of the Humanitarian and Compassionate Application.
What Else Do I Need To Know About Humanitarian Compassionate Applications?
Applications can take around 18-24 months to process but sometimes longer depending on the case.
- During the application process, the applicant remains in Canada to await a decision.
- It is not recommended that the applicant travel outside of Canada during the H and C process.
- Their file will be transferred from CPC Vegreville to their local CIC office for further processing. An interview may be required as well as a request for additional documentation.
- Interviews will be conducted at their local CIC office.
- If the Humanitarian and Compassionate Application is approved, the applicant will be asked to undergo Immigration medical exams and obtain police clearances.
- Once the medicals and police clearances are passed, the applicant will be called in to pick up their Canadian Permanent Residence Card (PR Card).
- If the H and C application is refused, then the applicant can appeal the negative decision by Canada Immigration to the Federal Court of Canada within 15 days of the refusal.
Moving Forward Together for Canadian Immigration
Immigration matters are complicated and the best way to navigate a mine field is to cling to the person who survived going through it.
Contact us, so we can see what your situation is, answer some of your questions, offer some possible avenues we can go down based on your circumstances.
We are very happy with your work. We really appreciate all the efforts that your team made in this case to make sure that my wife’s letters of employment were very clear, and that the rest of the list of requirements was submitted to CIC with perfection and on time. I appreciate that you always like to take proactive actions, and that you are keeping us posted. Jason T.